Monday, September 13, 2010

My Hero

I have met so many people in my life who are the epitome of good; the epitome of honesty; the epitome of love and of happiness and of courtesy. However, of these people, there are very, very few who I can call my Hero. One of those individuals is Claire Morgan Murray.

Claire was a very dear friend of mine growing up. We met for the first time as performers in the theatre, something we both had an endless love for, and we never really grew apart. Claire was a year older than I, but she was, and remains still today, one of the kindest, most caring people I have ever met. Claire would go out of her way just to try to make your life a bit brighter, and she didn't even expect or want any thanks in return. She always had a smile on her face and a kind word on her tongue, and she would always lend an ear to listen to your meaningless complaints and sorrows. Sadly, Claire passed away on September 13, 2005 at the young age of 13, the result of a fatal and incurable disease. Despite her young age, Claire's passing was mourned by thousands of people from within the local area and beyond. Every person she touched shed tears upon hearing the news, and even unknown strangers were said to have recognized her picture as "the girl with the infectious good mood."

But despite her charm, none of these is the reason why I consider Claire to be one of my heroes. During the last months of her life, Claire was fully aware of the effects of the disease, and that she would likely not live to see her 14th birthday. And yet, despite this knowledge, her personality remained as loving and caring as ever. Claire would still lend an ear to listen to your petty problems and comfort you, all the while knowing that her very life hung in balance. Rather than feeling sorry for herself and making others feel sorry for her, Claire lived her life to the absolute fullest, taking advantage of every moment she had to do what she loved to do. I hope that someday, whether long in the future or quite soon, I can find even half of the strength and charm that Claire embraced in her final moments of life.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I know I comment on nearly all of your posts, but they are just so powerful, that I feel like I need to, so here goes.

    I have to say, that this is probably the most personal thing I have ever heard (or read, i guess) you say. I feel like I know Claire without ever meeting her. Someone like that who just glows with optimism, and makes the best out of life, whether it is hers or someone else's, is absolutely amazing. I'm sorry to hear that she passed away, but it sounds like she had an effect on people that will never be forgotten.

    Thank you for sharing.

    -Erica

    ReplyDelete